Teachers As Life Long Learners

As teachers we never stop learning; we are life long learners. So it is important to expand our knowledge and what better way then the 21st century to do it globally.

 Image result for alberta teacher sharing

(Retrieved from Google)


One of the most popular ways that professionals are connecting and sharing their learning is through the Internet. I have been apart of a Facebook group called New Teachers Sharing Information for many years, this is an online interface where teachers can have discussion, share resources and ask questions.

One way I have maintained networks is through the connections I made when I first started UBC Teacher Librarianship Diploma program. I decided to go on campus for my first two classes to get a more personal connection with instructors and fellow classmates. These connections I have still continued to carry on with me and I connect with them often. There are many online forums I have subscribed to such as: Alberta School Learning CommonsInternational Association of School LibrarianshipInternational Association of School Librarianship and Canadian School LibrariesCanadian School Libraries. All of these resources are specifically for Teacher librarians to stay connected up to date through sharing their learning and providing further resources.

In the Province of Alberta there is a website dedicated to Alberta’s teachers to share resources called Ninja Plans. Ninja plans is merely for Alberta Education Programs of Studies for teachers, homeschoolers to share resources and to discover new ideas to implement into their classroom or learning environment. I have recently signed up to be apart of this online community to keep connected and updated on new resources.

To further develop my knowledge and expertise I will be helping my current school I work in go through the transition from a typical library to a Learning Commons. I am lucky enough to be apart of this process from the start and give input to my school community on implementing a smooth transition. I have been given the opportunity to apply for Classroom Improvement Fund (CIF) through a written proposal in hopes to achieve funding for materials, equipment and resources for a Learning Commons. I will also be researching and applying for other grants available to help get an up to date Learning Commons. These are some strategies and tools I will be exploring on my own development of a successful Learning Commons.


Resources

Alberta School Learning Commons. Retrieved Oct 10 from: https://aslc.ca/


Canadian School Libraries. Retrieved Oct 10 From: http://www.canadianschoollibraries.ca/

International Association of School Librarianship. Retrieved Oct 10 from: https://iasl-online.org/

Ninja Plans. Retrieved Oct 10 from: http://www.ninjaplans.com/about/






Comments

  1. A good description of ways to get started on your own professional development outside of this class. Some strong ideas and good resources to support your ongoing evolution into a T-L. Your references provide examples of good communities to tap into to help in your progression and development of a Learning Commons. Good use of labels and links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed that you are connected to all the sites you listed. I I visited a few and they seem very useful. I am not sure I could keep up with them but I am keeping the links :)
    I forgot to say the last time, that I am very excited for you. It is an amazing opportunity you are getting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is very intimidating at first, but I know I am the so to speak expert in my school. All of the links I provided help me stay connected with up and coming ideas or support system while going through this process. And do not worry I cannot keep up with all of them either, but it is a good reference and connection to keep.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Evolving Teacher Practice

Evaluation of Reference Resource